Thursday, February 4, 2010

Snail's Pace

It has taken me two nights to get through Star Trek, which is nominated for 4 Academy Awards. Two of the award categories are Make-up and Visual Effects. I like the makeup and appreciate that it's so well done, the futuristic alien world looks plausible. Visual Effects are great, but does ST really have a snow ball's chance in hell against Avatar in the same category? I've not seen the latter yet, but going on all the raves, I'd say no.

The other two categories Star Trek is nominated in are Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. I don't know much about what it would take to win these awards. I'll do a little research and visit this discussion again. (Can it be a discussion if I'm the only participant?) Of course, will research be necessary when I note that again in these categories it's competing with Avatar, and now The Hurt Locker as well? From what I am reading, those two movies have the potential to sweep on March 7. More film viewing and more learning is definitely in order.

The major thought provoker this evening is this: If I am only getting through 1 movie every two nights... am I going to get anywhere near making a dent in the goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment