Sunday, February 21, 2010

Live Action Shorts

Let's hear it for Sweden! I absolutely adored "Instead of Abracadabra." If I was a voting member of the Academy, I would be waving my wand over ther ballots and shouting "Chimay" (the word he uses instead of... you get the idea) so that this film would win. Perhaps it won't need my magic though, it was so uplifting and funny it must be winning people over in all corners of the world.

All of the live actions were beautiful, but Abracadabra was the only light-hearted offering.

My second choice would be "The New Tenants" (Denmark) which was darkly hilarious.

The other three were "Kavi" (India), "Miracle Fish" (Austrailia) and "The Door" (Ireland). Each of them touched on poignant and heartbreaking themes and each of them had children in tragic situations. I hate to watch children suffering, scared and sad.

My prediction for this category (which is much different from my pick) would be "Kavi." It sought to seek awareness and inspire change in a situation that seems huge and hopeless: modern day slavery. I also felt like it was a short follow-up to last year's "Slum Dog Millionaire."

No comments:

Post a Comment