Monday, February 15, 2010

Blood and Guts

I don't know if I can keep going...

I'm afraid the theme of blood and guts will be in more movies (Inglourious Basterds?). It was definitely prevalent in "District Nine." The gore was hard to stomach at times. Some of it because there was just so much... the rest because it was so severe in nature (guts splattering the camera lens). Completely obliterating humans, no matter how evil they seem, just never appeals to me.

This story is very Kafka-esque, with the main protagonist turning into a 'vermin' or in this case alien. The allegory of becoming something you've despised and mistreated was not lost on me. One could also draw comparisons between the 'aliens' of District 9 to immigrants in slum areas of various countries... and the hostilities that exist towards them from the citizens of their new home, as well as the seemingly hopeless situations they find themselves in as they search for a better life.

The movie left me feeling sad, and showed me images I can't 'unsee.' Peter Jackson was a producer on this and so I'm imagining it has a shot to win one Award at least. It is nominated for Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing and Visual Effects. Since it's up against "Avatar" in all but one category, if it wins anything, I would think it would be for Adapted Screenplay. Although in that category it's up against "Up in the Air" which won the Golden Globe for Best Screenplay, so maybe not.

That being said, I may have seen this movie for nothing.

Kidding. Horizons were broadened...seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I actually really liked this movie. I saw it in the theatre when it first came out. I was feeling rather sick to my stomach for the first bit with the hand held camera stuff. But then it settled down and I didn't feel so queasy.

    The thing I really like about this movie, is that it takes a character and makes me thoroughly loathe him, but within an hour or two, I am rooting for him and he has become quite a sympathetic character. That is good story telling, to move my sympathies and emotions back and forth like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have done without the black bile and fingernails falling off, though.

    ReplyDelete