Sunday, February 21, 2010

Animated Shorts

This weekend turned into one big opportunity to reach my goal. I got the chance to see ALL of the nominees for Best Animated Short and Best Live Action Short... something I thought I wouldn't get the chance to do!

Out of the animated shorts, my pick would be "Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty (Ireland)." Perhaps it's because I'm partial to the Irish sense of humor or maybe it's because I have a strong affinity for the elderly. Whatever the case, this one tickled my funny bone and made me thoughtful all at the same time. It was a satirical commentary on society's tendency to forget those who have given their lives to us... and need our love and compassion more than ever in their aging years.

My other favorites were "French Roast" (France) and "The Lady and the Reaper" (Spain). Those two illustrated (no pun intended) that language isn't necessary to tell a funny, touching and meaningful story.

I didn't care for "Logorama"(France) at all. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't care for extreme profanity in my animation.

My prediction for the category would be "Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death." (UK) It was the longest offering and it was so clever. They also have an established following.

But if I had my way, Granny O'Grimm would be hobbling up to the podium to accept this award. To view her reaction to being nominated visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvaAVh5APs4

No comments:

Post a Comment