Monday, February 8, 2010

Food, Inc.

This film is nominated for Best Documentary: Feature Length. I haven't seen the others in this category yet, but this one should win... and probably won't if lobbyists or politicians or lawyers or corporations or anyone standing to lose money if people start making better food choices have anything to say about it.

It should win just not for its own body of work, but to make up for the other pioneering film "Super Size Me" losing in this same category. I can't remember, did "An Inconvenient Truth" win the year it was nominated? The same people behind that movie are behind "Food, Inc." and they did such a remarkable job.

I recommend anyone seeing this work. It is at times gross and at times very sad, it is eye-opening and damning all at once. Yet it ends on a hopeful note giving the 'average Joe' tools for making a difference. (www.takepart.com/foodinc)

I view Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me), Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation) and Robert Kenner (Food, Inc.) as the Upton Sinclair's of our time. All pointing out that food shouldn't be 'engineered' and eating healthy and well shouldn't make the divide between rich and poor a matter of life and death.

1 comment:

  1. I saw some discussion on Oprah and it made me really want to see this movie as well. I believe what we eat truly affects our health more then we realize. I look forward to finding ways to making better food choices. Thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete