Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bright Star- directed by Jane Campion

This movie dramatizes the love affair that occured between John Keats and Fannie Braun. It was a lovely story and informative to boot. I had no idea Keats died at 25 feeling he had failed as a poet.

Like the geek I am, I sat with my poetry book at the ready so that I could follow along as they recited his works. "A Thing of Beauty" has always been my favorite of his, but the title poem "Bright Star! Would I Were Steadfast as Thou Art" was given new meaning.

The only nomination for this film is for Costume. I wonder if it's obligatory that every period piece gets nominated in this category?

Other nominees include "The Young Victoria," which I fear is just another period piece thrown in for good measure. I am most looking forward to finding and viewing "Coco Before Chanel" and "Nine." They just might offer something unique with which to compete!

1 comment:

  1. I love the poster byline: "First love burns brightest."

    ReplyDelete