Monday, February 15, 2010

Progress and Politics

Yesterday and today, sick in my bed, I was able to make some progress on my movie goal. Three more movies down, bringing my total to 12 out of 58... a little over 1/5 of the movies nominated for the 82nd Oscar Awards.

In the last couple of days I have watched "Il Divo," the story of Italian politician Giulio Andreotti. They called it the Italian "Nixon" which didn't help me since I'd never seen "Nixon." Also, it was all in Italian, so it was another movie to 'read.' I don't mind reading, but it makes it difficult to get all of the nuances and subtleties of what is being said and portrayed. To top it all off, it is a political movie, and I will be the first to tell everyone that I do not have a great political mind. One thing I did catch was a quote that has had me thoughtful: "To fight corruption, evil is the best tool." I am paraphrasing, but something to that effect was stated by the main character. I wonder if that is true, or if catching flies with honey is a better bet that nobody has been brave enough to try.

This movie was only nominated for makeup, so I guess I'd have to research what the actor looked like and how close they came to making him look like Andreotti to see if the makeup was Oscar-worthy. I now only have to see "Young Victoria" and I could make an 'educated guess' as to who might win the Oscar in this category (Star Trek being the third nominee).

But again, if the vote is in any way influenced by politics of an industry I am not a part of, I will be lost for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment