Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

I got my film-watching on this weekend, that is for sure! Some were for fun, some were for the challenge and one was for both!

On Friday night I kicked it off with "Date Night." I loved Steve Carrell so much, as I always do. I was also pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Mark Wahlberg in comedy. It bodes well for "The Other Guys" for me. After this I tried to move on to "Shutter Island" but kept falling asleep so I saved it for Saturday. (Tried to watch it during kids' naptime on Saturday and wound up taking a nap myself.)

On Sunday I went to see "Inception" with friends and I find myself wanting to review it in a separate post. It was amazing and I want the space to explore it. I also tried to watch "Shutter Island" again to no avail. I was asleep in under 20 minutes.

Monday morning was do or die time because my rentals were already overdue. So I triumphed over "Shutter Island" and found myself feeling like my Labor Day weekend had turned into a Leonardo-Dicaprio-delusional-dream Fest, between "SI" and "Inception." I have to say though, I loved them both.

We took the kids to see "Nanny McPhee Returns" in the afternoon, and though I loved the entire cast, I found myself missing the romance and magic of the Firth. Colin Firth that is. Nanny's departure was just so much lovelier and more magical in that original movie.

Lastly, I watched "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." It was good, but graphically true to the book, with a few uncomfortable scenes. It was also in Swedish, so I felt like my journey to the Oscars had indeed begun. Not that this movie will be recognized, just that I don't feel like I've seen an Oscar contender until I've 'read' at least 3 films!

So I used a 3 day weekend to see 5 films. I feel so productive, and yet not so. "Shutter Island," "Nanny McPhee," and "Inception" are appearing on Oscar Contender Trackers, so certainly I did some great homework.

Full thoughts on Inception to follow.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment