Sunday, September 19, 2010

2010 Challenges of the Challenge

I love the area in which I live for many things; access to films is not one of them.  

I was talking (translated: complaining) to fellow Film Society members today about the following quandary:  If I want to see many of the films that appear on Oscar-contender trackers, I've got hours-long drives ahead of me.  Therefore, finding ways to view as many films as possible becomes an excellent exercise in research and time management.  

I have to plot out wide-release dates, research what theatres will be showing the films, and make plans around kids' activities and spousal availability (did I mention being a working mother also presents challenges on top of challenges to my challenge?).  Add to the scheduling woes the fact that some films are no longer in theatres, and some of the documentaries may never make it this way, and then it becomes another research project into DVD release dates (did I mention sleep and I are archenemies?).  To that DVD challenge, a footnote that many of the Blockbusters in my area are closing.  

My last gripe on this proximal handicap of mine:  what on earth will I do if our local indie-favoring theatre decides not to show the animated and live action shorts this season?  I need to get on the phone to the person-in-charge there, because I'll never get close to my goal if those aren't presented again!

What's that quote about the thrill of the chase?

No comments:

Post a Comment