Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Commitment-Opportunity-Access

As I do my never-ending research in an attempt to fulfill this personal challenge of mine (and keep my blog as updated as possible), I read a lot of opinions. There are many professional (and semi-professional) reviewers out there who feel that there are about eight film bloggers too many, and that EVERYONE fancies themselves critics. When I read those opinions, I had to crystallize for myself what my challenge, and by extension my blog, is really about.

My four year degree is not in film. It's not even in literature or writing, though I've always thought myself to be fairly decent at both. My four year degree is in Organizational Communications which basically means I can see where communication systems breakdown, but I can't always do anything about it. So I have never intended my offerings here to come off as professional or worthy of any type of devotion.

If you have had time to read any of my posts, you know that I attempt to steer clear of hyperbole like "this movie is a 'must see'" or "man this movie wasn't worth my time." In fact, I rarely walk away from a film feeling either of those emotions, anyway. When credits roll after a movie, my head is typically busily going over themes and metaphors and attempting to connect dots between real life and what was portrayed on celluloid. In essence, I try to find a little meaning in everything I see, whether I feel it was 'good' 'bad' or 'otherwise.' I definitely have favorites, and definitely have seen some I've not liked at all... but I don't intend with these posts to sway anyone with any opinion of mine.

When all is said and done, I've discovered that my blog has always really been about commitment, opportunity and access (isn't that life, be you rich or poor, in a nutshell?) I commit to a goal to see as many films as possible that are on track to be Oscar-Nominated. As with any commitment, it isn't always easy to see through. There are days I feel tired, days I don't feel like it, and moments when I feel selfish to be so singularly focused. As far as opportunities go, sometimes they present themselves- but more often than not, I have to create my own. Whether its staying up past my bedtime to watch something on Pay Per View, or going to the movies on a Monday night to catch something before it leaves the big screen, I have to come up with ways to get there and get it done. This challenge has also taught me a lot about the importance of access. In my area, we do not always get access to a deeper kind of film making. For instance, this past weekend at the megaplexes I had my choice of "Saw 3D" "Jackass 3D" or "Paranormal 2." I have very little hope of getting to see documentaries or independent films unless I travel quite a distance to see it and incur greater expense than the cost of a ticket.

I am very lucky to have friends and family who encourage me in this goal. Not surprisingly, it has allowed me to open myself up to many new experiences. I am also lucky to live near a small independent theatre who has societies and clubs and a staff who work tirelessly (translated: jump through distributors' hoops) to give access to and create opportunities for people like me who catch their breath each time the lights go down and the titles come up.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment