Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Socially Acceptable

Evaluating "The Social Network" is probably one of the most difficult tasks I've ever set out to do. Having zero minutes since seeing it to blog didn't make it any easier. But I've had plenty of time to think, and I have begun to feel that rather than a long-winded explanation, my simple and initial gut-reaction would sum up the film (as I saw it) best.

Everybody wants to belong to something.  The harder we try to be a part, the less we fit in.  Life and social circles, in my opinion, demand our authentic selves.  When we lose ourselves in our quests to fit our square edges into round holes, we find that we arrive right where we began:  alone.

I daresay this filter of mine isn't shared by everyone who saw the film.  To me, the brilliance of "TSN" is that it elicits thoughtful conversations from folks with as many points of view as there are friends on Facebook.  I would love to hear your thoughts on it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment