Sunday, February 6, 2011

Balance

I began my morning at 4 a.m. today and watched "Rabbit Hole" starring Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart before the sun came up.  My wondering here is why Kidman was recognized with a nomination for her role, but not Eckhart?  Is it harder to play restrained than emotional?  Is it harder to forgive than rage?  As I told I friend, it is very hard to figure out which character to empathize with when the subject matter is so unthinkable that you hope you'll never be able to feel empathy for their situation.

I followed RH with a viewing (finally) of "Exit through the Gift Shop."  I love the title almost more than the movie, because it says so much to me.  I, like many I'd imagine, am not a fan of the way amusement parks give you an exciting and fun experience, and then rob you of it by commercializing that experience as you exit through their gift shop.  I would think that my irritation at that commercialization is only a fraction of the anger these street artists feel at their craft being hijacked by an opportunistic weirdo.

Count as of today in The Challenge:  25 out of 56 films seen, 4 categories viewed in its entirety.  Seeing "True Grit" will help me close off 6 more categories.  I'm not sure why I'm delaying viewing that particular film.

No comments:

Post a Comment