Monday, November 29, 2010

Relaxing with a Scintilla of Disappointment

I had anticipated Thanksgiving to be not only a weekend chock-full of calories, but of movies as well.  I had hopes of seeing at least 4 or 5 films between Theatres, Netflix and Pay Per View, which would have allowed my "Movies Already Seen for the Challenge List" to get closer in length to the "Movies to Be Seen" list.  But my 3 year old son got sick and so the best I was able to do was to sneak out of the house with my 9 year old daughter during nap-time to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1" in the new DBox seats.

The silver lining to this being the only movie I could squeeze in was that the DBox seats are amazing!  In my opinion (if it matters) when you sit in them for the first time, you must see a movie you are passionate about.  I am passionate about Harry Potter (as opposed to "Tron" which will be the next DBox offeirng) and with every flight and every wand jolt I was sucked further into the story.  The tickets are expensive, but they were so worth the experience.

In other challenge activities, I did manage to finish reading Fair Game by Valerie Plame, and began reading The Long Walk Home on which the film "The Way Back" is based.  So the side-benefit to my sub-challenge is paying off...  I am reading works I never would have been exposed to if it weren't for films being adapted from them.

Also over the weekend I was able to update my Netflix queue to reflect the documentaries I need to see after the Academy announced its short-list of the 15 documentaries that are in the running for nomination.  (Thank the stars they narrowed it down from the 101 eligible).

Up next, I'm hoping to take in "The Kids Are All Right" on Pay Per View and sneak out to see "Love and Other Drugs" on $5 movie night at Regal.

My current scorecard will be posted soon, by category, of what tracking films I've seen thus far.

1 comment:

  1. You know I am in for Love and Other Drugs. Keep me posted.
    I am hoping he is feeling much better and you will make up for lost time.

    ReplyDelete